Skip to main content

Preposition

The prepositions at, on, and in

We use at to show a specific place or position.
For example:
Someone is at the door.
They are waiting at the bus stop.
I used to live at 51 Portland Street.

We use on to show position on a horizontal or vertical surface.
For example:
The cat sat on the mat.
The satellite dish is on the roof.

We also use on to show position on streets, roads, etc.
For example:
I used to live on Portland Street.

We use in to show that something is enclosed or surrounded.
For example:
The dog is in the garden.
She is in a taxi.
Put it in the box.

We also use in to show position within land-areas (towns, counties, states, countries, and continents).
For example:
I used to live in Nottingham.

More prepositions of place
Prepositions of Place

after
She slammed the door after her.
They ran after the thief.

among
I enjoy being among my friends.
I found my handbag among my luggage.

at
The secretary was sitting at her desk.
The man was standing at the taxi stand.

behind
The car park is behind the building.
He never won a race, he was always behind the others.

between
The prisoner sat between the two policemen.
I held the pen between my thumb and fingers.

in
The pen was in the drawer.
He lives in South Africa.

in front of
The teacher stands in front of the class.
The car was parked in front of the garage.

next to / beside / by
In my English lesson I always sit next to/beside/by my friend.
The bank is next to/beside/by the hotel.

on
The painting was hanging on the wall.
The boy was sitting on the chair.

over/above
The sign hanging over/above the door read 'No smoking'.
I put the tablecoth over the table.
I enjoy watching the planes fly above me.

under / below
The temperature outside was under/below 0.
The woman was sheltering under a tree.
When flying I enjoy watching the clouds below me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KUMPULAN MATERI LK1: WAWASAN ILMU

Wawasan Ilmu Di bawah bayang-bayang kematian Islam Oleh : Ihab Habudin ‘Tahu’ dan ‘Pengetahuan’ Manusia adalah mahluk sempurna. Dibekali akal, hati dan indera ia menjelma sebagai mahluk yang paling berpengaruh di muka bumi ini. Inovasi tiada hentinya dalam mengasah kreasi ketiga potensinya itu telah menghasilkan kebudayaan dan peradaban yang sangat kompleks sekarang ini. Misalnya saja, Darinya kita tahu dan mengenal ada Handphone Star Tech (ST 21) yang harganya Cuma Rp. 199.000.- plus kartu pedana ‘bebas’, tarif temurah, dan 600 sms gratis dengan fasilitas dual band GSM 900/1800 MHz, CFTN Nistual, Colour Background 1,5 inci, Predictive text input, polyphonic, speaker phone, jam alam, jam digital dan kalkulator kalender, baterai Li-Ion 700 MAH hingga si Nokia Connecting People (N5310) yang dengannya kita bisa memutar musik hingga 18 jam, radio FM dengan Radio Data System (RDS), Layar dengan 16 Juta warna yang tajam termasuk kamera 2 megapixel serta Mikro SD 512 MB. Atau tidak perlu rumi